Location: West Pittsburgh, PA
Job Type: Contract to Hire
- Identify new technologies with intrinsic value for application in company solutions. Lead activities with external vendors and internal team to identify, evaluate and recommend system hardware and software. Defines and leads proof of concept activity associated with technology assessment.
- Understand and explain microservice architecture, eventual consistency, etc.
- Work with IT and business representatives to identify opportunities leading to the design and development of tools and applications in support of the company and business partner operations.
- Document the desired future state of application architecture, and document the gaps between current and future states. Define transition plans to close the gaps.
- Design, document and drive adoption of enterprise-wide architectures and frameworks.
- Assume a leadership role in establishing and insuring compliance with IT governance policies and initiatives including standards, code quality, unit testing, security, best practices and policies.
- Serve as subject matter expert in multiple technology areas.
- Assure that solution designs meet requirements for scalability, security, performance and quality in accordance with negotiated service level agreements.
- Participate in the assessment and resolution of software defects discovered during the quality assurance process.
- Work with software engineers, QA engineers, technical writers, configuration management and infrastructure, as needed, to ensure quality and the successful implementation of new applications or features.
- Assist IT Managers in assessing feature and requirement tradeoffs.
- Proactively report issues with technology, process, and/or personnel, back to stakeholders to ensure that projects remain on track and issues are identified and resolved early
- All other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related years of experience.
- 10+ years experience in software or applications engineering and/or technical operations.
- Work and/or academic experience building applications employing the following:
- Extensive background in the .NET Framework, with recent emphasis on .NET Core
- Experience architecting .NET and .NET Core web and web service solutions
- Real-world experience writing ASP.NET Core Web API REST services
- Emphasis on code quality and neatness
- Experience working with Azure PaaS and SaaS offerings
- Virtualization and orchestration platforms Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) and Docker
- Managed SQL, Cosmos DB, Application Insights, Redis, Blob Storage
- Azure DevOps
- Security best practices
- Relational database with emphasis on SQL Server 2018+
- JSON, XML
- Common web protocols such as HTTP(S), REST, etc.
- Object relational mapping tools
- Internet and hardware technologies such as load balancers, firewalls, clustering, encryption devices or accelerators.
- Detailed knowledge of operating systems or components such as transaction processing, asynchronous implementation and load balancing is a plus.
- Heterogeneous operating environments emphasizing Windows and Linux.
- Experience with design tools, design patterns and familiarity with application of UML and class diagram representations
- Works effectively in a fast paced environment.
- Works well in team scenarios and possesses characteristics representative of a self-starter and motivator
- Creative and effective problem solving skills
- Ability to work on/manage multiple tasks concurrently
- Excellent communication skills