Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job Type: Contract
We are seeking an Application Engineer I to join the Pittsburgh office. An Engineer I in the IT Application Engineering department is responsible for taking ownership of a particular product end-to-end and working with various teams to support it. This person has shown to be capable of onboarding a basic new solution such as a client-only or single-server topology. Because there is no team above them in the support stack, they also responsible for assisting those support teams should they be unable to find a solution to an issue.
Candidates must be self-starters who possess the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Excellent communication skills and a commitment to providing the highest quality client service are strongly preferred.
- Upgrade and maintain software across multiple clients and servers.
- Maintain vendor relationships.
- Investigate and understands strategies for performance, scalability, manageability, availability and data retention.
- Provide technical leadership to lower support tiers.
- Participate in requirements gathering and solution design.
- Document operational procedures and processes for maintenance and support.
- Troubleshoot engineering level bugs for problem management.
- Provide technical mentoring and training to lower support levels.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience in a related field.
- Previous application support or related experience with an aptitude for engineering is required.
- Ability to plan and accomplish goals while performing a variety of complicated tasks in a fast-paced work environment is required.
- Good communication & interpersonal skills with technical & non-technical colleagues is required.
- Experience with one or more PC or server operating systems, database solutions or web or cloud servers is required.
- Basic understanding of n-tier application design, network (LAN, WAN, DMZ, Firewall) topologies and web or cloud services is desirable.
- Basic understanding of systems administration and automation tools including shell scripting, WMI, VBS and PowerShell languages is desirable.
- Basic understanding of or the ability to communicate application programming techniques, design patterns or frameworks is desirable.