Buyer / Purchaser
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job Type: Contract
Responsible for the purchase of complex technical and engineering items, materials, and services. Responsible to qualify vendors, negotiate pricing, deliveries and ensure quality products are procured to meet company and customer requirements.
- Process requisitions for supplies, research products, clarify specifications, document competitive bidding and enter and print purchase orders.
- Monitor vendor pricing for any unannounced changes
- Deal with vendors and manufacturers, which often involves persuading potential vendors to undertake the manufacture of custom-designed items according to complex and rigid specifications. Items contracted for may include electronic, mechanical, fabricated, machined, software, plastics, and other associated commodities and/or key raw materials, assembly- line equipment, and machine tools or products.
- Purchase high volume items and materials that cover extended contract periods.
- Negotiate requirements for production of electro-mechanical products in accordance with master schedule, and independent requisitions.
- Administer Engineering Change Notice calls for action and control product obsolescence.
- Responsible for controlling inventory levels of assigned commodities inclusive of safety stock, reorder point, min-max and lead-time maintenance.
- Responsible for placing orders, expediting and rescheduling deliveries to meet production and customer objectives.
- Review vendor contracts and develop contracts and purchasing specs to protect our interests in our dealings with suppliers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Prefer B.S. Degree in Business, Engineering or related fields.
- Three to Five years of progressive, diverse responsibility in a manufacturing environment. Hands on computer/PC experience; MRP/JIT exposure a plus.
- Ability to work under pressure in detailed, organized manner; demonstrated ability to work with a degree of tenacity where appropriate.
- Ability to work with a MRP system, and KanBan/JIT inventory replenishment systems.
- Working knowledge of office computer applications. (MS Office Access, Word, and Spread Sheet Software).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with excellent interpersonal skills.