Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job Type: Full Time / Permanent
As a Data scientist you will support data analyses efforts. Specifically, you will develop and apply cutting-edge machine learning methods to analyze biological datasets to help develop novel insights towards discovering novel cancer-related therapies.
- Works with computational biology and systems immunology teams to analyze biological datasets by developing, optimizing and implementing machine learning (ML) models, applied to scale.
- Implement metrics to verify model and algorithm effectiveness.
- Automate model training, testing and deployment and ensure proper code documentation.
- Keep up with emerging trends in ML, Deep Learning (DL) and Natural Language Processing (NLP).
- Produces reports and presentations and reports to the leadership of the computational biology and systems immunology teams.
- Communicate results of data analyses to the broader team.
- Supports the computational biology and systems immunology teams in developing analytical tools for the interrogation and management of clinical and non-clinical datasets.
- Ensures adherence to HIPAA standards.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours as necessary, and work beyond 40 hrs is likely to be required.
Education & Experience:
- MS or PhD in computer science, bioinformatics, statistics, physics, engineering or a related quantitative field.
- 2+ years work experience in developing and applying ML algorithms to high-dimensional datasets.
- Good understanding of ML fundamentals, modern ML libraries, DL and NLP techniques and working knowledge of bioinformatics and biological concepts.
- Proficient in Python and/or R scripting.
- Expertise in ML/DL frameworks like Pytorch, TensorFlow, Keras, Scikit-learn/Caret.
- Demonstrated ability to write high-quality, production-ready code.
- Experience with version control systems like GIT.
- Self-motivated, organized, goal oriented, team player focused on a career in biotech.
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to and follow defined timelines, milestone, and objectives.
- Able to deal with uncertainty and solve problems creatively and independently with solid judgement.
- Preferred experience:
- Experience with biological datasets (single-cell or bulk RNAseq, DNA, next-generation sequencing) is highly desirable.
- Experience with cloud computing (e.g. AWS).
- Experience with relational databases and SQL.
- Knowledge of cancer biology and immunology.