Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job Type: Full Time / Permanent
The Database Architect will lead all activities related to database management, architecture, administration, and data integrations. As a company with products and services in the “Internet of Things” and “Big Data” space, this critical role will also act as senior database thought leader with a focus on next generation database technologies that support “big data” and Machine-2-Machine (M2M) capabilities.
- Create database technology roadmaps that ensure long term reliability and scalability given projected growth and demand.
- Work closely with Software Development, IT Security, and global IT Operations teams to define database requirements and design appropriate database architectures.
- Collaborate with Software Quality Assurance (SQA) to develop robust database testing capabilities and test plans.
- Ensure that all databases, when appropriate, are architected for high availability and disaster recovery.
- Ensure databases are performing at optimal levels per application requirements.
- Willingness and ability to perform “hands-on” DBA work and SQL query writing when necessary.
- Manage the vendor relationship of all database related 3rd party providers.
- Direct the work of 3rd party database administration team and extended team members.
- Develop and implement enterprise information strategies and supporting data models that enable robust reporting capabilities.
- Support technology efforts in data mining and analytics
- Establish data architecture roadmaps and diagrams to ensure that data is understood and leveraged effectively throughout the enterprise including the relationship and dependencies between data and business processes.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business administration or a technology-related field, or equivalent work or education related experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of combined experience in database management, administration, data integration, data quality and reporting.
- Proven track record of leading and managing database teams responsible for supporting critical 24×7 systems in a large-scale enterprise where databases are one of the most valuable assets.
- Experience in managing MS SQL Server and MySQL or equivalent database platforms.
- Experience with AWS RDS
- Proven ability to transfer logical data models into physical database design.
- Strong DBA, database performance and tuning background and proficiency with DBMS tools such as Toad, Erwin, SQL Developer, etc.
- Must have worked with multi-Terabyte production databases.
- Experience with database replication and recovery.
- Experience defining and enforcing enterprise database standards and processes.
- Demonstrable experience in designing new database solutions, working across multiple teams, dealing with multiple 3rd parties.
- Demonstrable experience in incident management, dealing efficiently with business communications while providing technical guidance to impacted teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and collaborative skills, and the ability to communicate database and enterprise information concepts to technical and nontechnical audiences.
- Master’s degree in related field preferred
- Experience with AWS and related database technologies – DynamoDB, Aurora, Red Shift preferred
- Experience with creating and managing data warehouses preferred
- Experience with “Big Data” – ie: unstructured data, MongoDB, Cassandra, Hadoop, etc. preferred
- Experience with SQL Server BI and data warehouses preferred