Director of Engineering – Supply Chain
Location: West Pittsburgh, PA
Job Type: Full Time / Permanent
The Supply Chain technology team helps the organization deliver value by making sure billions of dollars of inventory moves to the right place at the right time across our online and brick-and-mortar locations. As the leader of this team undergoing a technology transformation, you will help shape the future of businesses of all sizes by using technology effectively and efficiently to connect with athletes, employees, and partners.
As the Director of Engineering, you will drive the engineering strategy for Supply Chain technology and lead teams that will focus on developing the next generation of Supply Chain tools and product offerings. You will partner closely with senior leadership across Engineering, Product Management, Design, and the Supply Chain and eCommerce business domains in order to deliver on the strategic roadmap aspirations in this domain. This role will be a student of current industry trends, providing technical guidance to engineering teams and top management.
As a Director of Supply Chain Technology, you will lead a team of engineers modernizing the distribution centers and the supply chain network that the company operates and will be responsible for managing teams that are building highly innovative and enterprise scale supply chain solutions. This modernization includes integration with new, state of the art robotics systems, building complex sorting algorithms, allocating demand against available inventory in the most efficient way possible, and routing and shipping inventory to stores and athletes in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
Success in this role will require strong and innovative approaches to problem solving, evaluation, optimizing of solutions, great technical leadership, excellent communication skills (written/verbal & formal/informal), flexibility, accountability and a self-motivated working style with attention to detail.
- Find simplicity in solving complex problems across teams.
- Demonstrate success in leading and developing cross-functional engineering teams
- Manage the team and resources efficiently and ensure the team has clear priorities and adequate resources
- Demonstrate strong focus on delivering capabilities and solutions into production.
- Make critical decisions that attribute to the success of your products, and ultimately the company
- Maintain high morale and motivate the team to go above and beyond. Advocate for technical excellence and helping the team make good decisions
- Build, grow, and retain top talent and continually find ways to inspire and challenge the engineering organization.
- Manage a diverse team to navigate deep technical problem spaces.
- Establish good stakeholder communication and work closely with Product teams and influence product roadmap and help drive requirements while being a strong advocate of extreme agile, strong engineering and DevOps practices across engineers
- Build cross-functional partnerships and work closely with developers and product managers to identify productivity, production quality and coverage issues, and provide insight on improving both through scale and tooling.
- Innovate new solutions and product offerings that have the scale, complexity, and flexibility to meet the needs of a quickly evolving business landscape.
- Assist in defining engineering and infrastructure needs, drive resolution of technology roadblocks including code, infrastructure, build and deployment and managing overall software development cycle by adhering to development and security standards.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of experience in managing software development teams to deliver custom code, and/or customized package solutions. Experience in building/implementing high performance & scalable server-side applications or relevant eCommerce experience, a plus.
- Experience translating business needs into technical solutions.
- Hands-on coding/technical experience and highly collaborative; Extensive experience working in an agile environment (i.e. user stories, iterative development, etc.)
- Experience managing engineering managers
- Experience within either a corporate environment undergoing a technology transformation or a start-up environment managing rapid business growth; bringing a strong sense of ownership
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to variety of audiences
- Experience operating medium to large scale systems
- Familiar with the DevOps/Operations Management space; experience with test-driven development and software test automation
- Ability to proactively anticipate challenges and obstacles.
- Ability to comfortably handle ambiguity.