Director of Software Engineering
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job Type: Full Time / Permanent
The Director of Software Engineering reporting to the Chief Product Officer will provide technical leadership, vision, direction, and mentoring for multiple software engineering teams. This individual will create, grow and manage multiple teams which design, develop, and support our products to meet business requirements. The Director of Software Engineering will deliver product and feature roadmaps and provide overall leadership and day to day management for multiple teams of software development professionals. Additionally the individual will provide resource planning and project scheduling using Agile/Scrum software development methodologies.
- Meets business needs by managing the activities of development teams and consistently delivering quality solutions on time, within budget, and scope.
- Recruit and develop a leading-edge engineering team
- Work with customers, R&D, Sales and Support teams to gather product and project requirements.
- Actively drives the development life-cycle from requirements analysis, feasibility estimates, design, code, documentation, testing, implementation, and defect support.
- Developing project plans, resource planning, scheduling and managing development timelines.
- Building and managing multi-disciplined software teams and overseeing the development processes using industry best practices.
- Responsible for design reviews, code reviews, motivating and mentoring the software development team.
- Drive technical architecture decisions and lead efforts to build and maintain a scalable software platform
- Support change management process to manage software releases, application patching and changes to production configurations.
- Manage multiple tasks and responsibilities in high-pressure environments; excelling at pinpointing and resolving problems in early project stages to avoid cost/time expenses.
- Oversight and management of department expenses and budget planning.
Education & Experience:
- Strong people and management skills to interact with staff, colleagues, cross-functional teams and third parties
- Ability to drive a culture of quality and personal accountability through development and delivery teams.
- A commitment to quality through the ability to translate complex technical requirements into functional software using best practices.
- Expert in Agile methods including SCRUM and TDD.
- Experience in application architecture and making rational buy vs. build and interface decisions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work equally well in self-managed and team-based Agile/Scrum projects.
- Ability to organize and delegate work to various levels of management and software developers.
- Must be customer focused. Anticipate what our customers value and develops elegant solutions to delight them.
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Management experience 5+
- Software Engineering experience 8-10