IT Solution Architect
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job Type: Full Time / Permanent
This job designs, develops, implements, supports, and optimizes architecture strategy to meet business capabilities and needs within area of expertise (application, solution, information, technology, business). Ensures completeness of architecture by adequately addressing all the pertinent concerns of its stakeholders. Ensures integrity of architecture by connecting various views of stakeholders, reconciling conflicting concerns, and showing the trade-offs made in so doing. Considers practicality and fitness for purpose in determining architecture to develop. Leverages business and technology knowledge to enable and/or alter business processes, practices, organizations and systems within area of expertise. Maintains knowledge of emerging technologies and best in class industry business trends and practices. May take on role of Project Leader for special assignments.
- Provide strategic consultation to business customers in defining or designing business processes, functions and organizational structures, as well as in researching, identifying and internally marketing enabling technologies based on customer capability requirements.
- Facilitate development of enterprise business solutions that combine knowledge of particular business processes and issues, general technological options, and process facilitation techniques.
- Participate in enterprise strategy development, including environmental analysis, opportunity identification, value cases and business innovation portfolio development.
- Specify and design large or complex systems, solutions, networks, infrastructure elements, or processes.
- Select appropriate design standards, methods and tools and ensures that they are applied effectively.
- Review others’ system design to ensure selection of appropriate technology, efficient use of resources and integration of multiple systems and technology.
- Establish policy for selection of architecture components.
- Evaluate and undertake impact analysis on major design options.
- Ensure that the system architecture balances functional, service quality and systems management requirements.
- Use appropriate tools, including models of components and interfaces, to contribute to the development of architectures.
- Produce detailed component requirements, specifications and translates these into detailed solutions/designs for implementation using selected products.
- Provide advice on technical aspects of system development, integration (including requests for changes, deviations from specifications, etc.) and processes.
- Ensure that relevant technical and business strategies, policies, standards and practices are applied correctly.
- Select and uses tools and methods to establish, clarify, and communicate the functional and non-functional requirements of system users, their characteristics, and tasks.
- Identify the technical, organizational, and physical environment in which complex products or systems will operate.
- Identify, propose, initiate, and lead significant improvement programs, taking responsibility for the quality and appropriateness of the work performed and the realization of measurable business benefits.
- Modify existing process improvement approaches and/or develops new approaches to achieving improvement.
- Ensure the resolution of a variety of architecture and business problems and serves as a technical or business lead for highly complex project initiatives.
- Communicate effectively will all levels of organization.
- Manage expectations of customers, partners and management.
- Participate in customer walkthroughs and plans; design and technical walkthroughs; and problem resolution and decision making.
- Interact with departments across the organization as necessary, including the development and interpretation of highly complex requirements for peers and other staff.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of specific technical aspects in area of expertise and provides expert advice regarding their application. The area of specific expertise may be any aspect of information or communication technology, technique, method, process, product, or application area.
- Provide leadership and mentoring in the areas of expertise and architecture to their peers, developers, management and business users including technical expertise, coaching, and ad-hoc training.
- Prepare presentations on complex issues on the area of expertise
- Present to their peers to ensure consistency to the Organization’s strategic direction.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field
- 5 year of architecture experience
- 5+ years of architecture experience
- Experience in the following very important: Solution Architecture, Technology Roadmap Development
- Expertise with COBIT and/or TOGAF Frameworks very helpful
- Management Experience Required – No
- Willingness to Travel – Occasionally
- Master’s Degree
- Experience in the following very important: Solution Architecture, Technology Roadmap Development, Data Integration and Web/Mobile Development
- Expertise with COBIT and/or TOGAF Frameworks highly desired
- Consulting background very helpful
- Familiarity with Microsoft technology and tools
- Health insurance industry business knowledge
This role supports all internal groups and brings technical knowledge to help build out the internal systems. Its a very influential position and will help set direction for the IT organization so we need a big picture candidate who can work with internal customers and help do the system road-mapping.