Junior Backend Web Developer
Location: South of Pittsburgh, PA
Job Type: Contract to Hire
The Jr. Back-End Web Developer is responsible for managing the interchange of data between the server and the users. Primary focus will be development of all server-side logic, definition and maintenance of the central database, and ensuring high performance and responsiveness to requests from the front-end. Also responsible for integrating the front-end elements built by the front-end developers into the website.
- Integration of user-facing elements developed by front-end developers with server-side logic
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Request protections and integrate measures from Senior Dev
- Understanding of relational database management
- Keep abreast of new web technologies
Education & Experience:
- BS degree in Computer Science, IT, or related field of study
- 2+ years hands on experience in back-end development in the creation of websites
- Understanding of the entire web development process
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming principles and MVC architecture patterns
- A foundational understanding of front-end technologies (e.g. HTML, CSS, etc.)
- Knowledge in modern development frameworks (e.g. Laravel, Vue.JS, or AngularJS)
- Good understanding of server-side CSS preprocessors, such as LESS and SASS
- General knowledge of API development and Service Oriented Architectures (e.g. RESTful)
- Proficient with WordPress (constructing themes, creating/modifying plugins)
- General knowledge of accessibility and security compliance
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
- Ability to work well under pressure and under short deadlines
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.