Lean Manufacturing Engineer
Location: Chaelroi, PA
Job Type: Full Time / Permanent
SUMMARY: The Lean Manufacturing Engineer’s main functions are to drive continuous improvement as well as work in conjunction with production management and engineering to sustain processes throughout using Lean principals and techniques. These principals must focus on five primary goals: eliminating waste, reducing cost, reducing lead time, sustaining processes, and improving product quality. Under the supervision of the Factory Superintendent and working with the Operations Manager, the Lean Manufacturing Engineer will support Production and the Operations group. The Lean Manufacturing Engineer must be motivated to standardize the established processes and to identify potential problem areas as well as develop creative and effective solutions in accordance with our continuous improvement practices. This position must also contribute to the organizational goals to improve processes and create a profitable entity. The Lean Manufacturing Engineer represents the Lean Department and will participate as a vital member of the Efficiency team.
PRIMARY DUTIES RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead or assist SBU (Strategic Business Unit) members in creating cost reduction and/ or process improvement plans that satisfy the customer’s requirements.
- Effectively in the organization’s manufacturing processes and procedures.
- Develop and/or direct the development of all needed part structures in ERP systems (i.e., items, bills of materials, routings).
- Perform the daily review of throughput/parts per hour (PPH). Conduct immediate investigations of suspect areas and implement corrective action, as appropriate.
- Conduct time/labor studies by using both the observation and video methods.
- Analyze and support the implementation of continuous improvement initiatives.
- Identify opportunities to remove non-value-added steps in processes.
- Work in tandem with management to increase capacity and throughput.
- Document process changes and ensure SOPs are updated, drive and maintained according to proper document control practices.
- Support Production Managers in improving inefficient processes.
- Confer with management regarding procedures, manufacturing capabilities and project status.
- Create standard work documents that capture best practices for production processes.
- Perform manufacturing audits, focusing on process or cost variation.
- Create/update manufacturing reports that capture the company’s KPIs (Key Performance Indicators).
- Design/generate layout of equipment, material and workspaces to maximum efficiency.
- Identify new opportunities in the company to grow the Lean culture.
- Conduct regular (5S) events in work centers to remove non-essential items and operations.
- Train Crew Leaders and shop personnel on continues improvement in a manufacturing environment.
- Create implementation plans and manage project using Lean’s project templates.
- Ability to mentor, lead and direct the work of others.
- Ability to determine capability and capacity of existing and new manufacturing processes as well as the development of metrics to monitor efficiency.
- Create work cell layout to promote overall workflow.
- All other duties as assigned.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Engineering or equivalent
- Knowledge in MTM and/or Basic MOST(Maynard Operation Sequence Technique)
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing– White Belt preferred
- Knowledge in Six Sigma methodologies preferred
- Knowledge of process mapping methodologies
- Strong mathematical and organizational skills
- Expert computer skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, Visio, and Project
- Good technical writing skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- 1+ years’ experience in Industrial Engineering