Manager, Database Operations
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job Type: Full Time / Permanent
The Manager, Database Operations will serve as the database expert within the Operations team. This includes understanding the data flows of a .NET based application, MS SQL Server backend Databases, as well as MongoDB. This position will also require understanding of testing features and functionality, development life cycle, and the overall application deployment cycle. The manager will oversee the success of the team.
- Manages a team of DBAs and handles daily task assignments, project assignments, and escalations
- Ensure that new database code meets company standards for readability, reliability, and performance.
- Design indexes for existing applications, choosing when to add or remove indexes.
- Investigate performance issues with stored procedures, functions, and views.
- Ensure all SQL environments are appropriately monitored.
- Experience managing environments with the following technologies:
- Failover Clustering and “Always On” MS SQL technology
- Database Mirroring/Transactional Log Shipping and Replication technology
- Strong experience in writing and improving SQL Server T-SQL queries.
- Strong experience in SQL Server performance tuning such as PLE, MAXDOP, concurrency, etc.
- Strong experience in creating and maintaining SQL Server preventative maintenance plans
- Strong experience in installing and configuring SQL Server
- Strong experience in administrating SQL Server security
- Available for occasional On-Call rotation.
- Available to work outside normal business hours for database maintenance (Nights/Weekends).
- Experience with SQL monitoring tools (i.e. SQL RedGate) required.
- Experience with Microsoft Visual Studio / GIT is a plus but not required.
- Experience with Octopus is a plus but not required.
- Experience with MS SQL SSIS and SSRS a plus but not required.
- Experience using IaaS providers such as AWS a plus but not required.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- 2-5 years’ experience managing MS SQL 2008 through MS SQL 2016 required.
- 1-3 years’ experience managing NoSQL Environments (ex. Mongo) required.
- 5-10 years’ experience managing a team in complex, distributed IT operations environment
- Experience working on or managing global teams is a plus but not required.
- Experience with enterprise SaaS solutions.
- Experience with information systems in a 24/7, “real-time” environment.
- Must be able to motivate teams for high performance, resolve conflicts and balance resources.
- Must possess a systematic approach to troubleshooting multi-variate problems.
- Must be detail oriented, organized, and have the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to maintain supportive relationships with peers, clients, partners, and corporate executives.
- Must be flexible with a “can do” attitude and have the ability to remain professional under high pressure situations