Manager, QA Engineering
Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA
Job Type: Full Time / Permanent
We are looking for a seasoned, hands-on Quality Engineering (QE) manager to join our Network Security Group to drive a team to architect, develop, automate, execute and maintain functional and performance test suites and scenarios of our products. Our client develops industry leading Firewall, SG UTM, Secure Wi-Fi, and Secure Web Gateway products
- Provide the definition, development and deployment of the required Functional, Performance, Stress, Load, Reliability/Longevity – test architecture and test suites/environments to test and automate the features and functionalities of our products by understanding the underlying architecture to uncover potential bottlenecks in performance, find defects, risks, issues following the highest Quality Engineering test methodologies and standards
- Responsible for identifying performance test gaps and coming up with test methodologies for benchmarking of various product features that facilitates improving the overall performance of the product.
- Responsible for quality entrance/exit criteria checklists and DoDs/DoRs for testing, performance and deployment. Ensure delivery against quality assurance and performance goals and objectives
- Directly supervises Quality Engineers including the preparation and delivery of staff performance evaluations and career development activities
- Select and utilizes tools and test methodologies to ensure that QE tests identify defects and comply with quality standards. Assures the viability, functionality and effectiveness of essential tools
- Responsible and Accountable for flagging the timing of cross functional deliverables and the quality of their output. Anticipates product release problems and takes corrective action, escalating them as needed, to resolve and achieve commitments
- Work closely with development, product management and other cross functional teams and participate in requirements reviews, design and code reviews, all the way until product is released. Help in developing the future direction of our product and its deployment activities
- Learn and implement test cases that give insight into customer deployment scenarios and run performance tests as early in the release cycle as it is realistically possible to identify and flush out potential defects in the product well in advance (shift left testing)
- Continually assess and evaluate existing test cases/suites with an objective of identifying and eliminating potential gaps in test coverage
- Develop tools and infrastructure to improve the quality and efficiency of testing and test methodologies. Become inventive in testing approaches by building tools and automation scripts
- Run performance and analysis testing against competitive products
- Present and help in analyzing the performance test results, debug and help in root causing the defects found, and help in baselining and benchmarking the results.
- Customer facing, can interact and present quality and performance benchmarking plans and strategies with customers. Implement improvements to process and recommend alternative testing. Establish and maintain policy for documentation for all test results on all products. Review artifacts before it is sent out to External Customers
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Computer/Electrical Engineering or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience in testing Firewalls / Network Security appliances
- Solid understanding of network security applications, including (but not limited to) firewalls, IPS, IDS (e.g. Snort), routing, switching, IPsec and SSL/TLS. Cloud security is a plus
- Experience in using commercial test tools such as Spirent Avalanche, Cyberflood, Keysight/Ixia Breaking Point, IxLoad, IxNetwork, JMeter, HP load-runner or other Performance testing tools
- Proficiency with TCL, Python, Perl, shell scripting, Java
- Knowledge/work experience in application level protocols: TCP, UDP, SNMP, HTTP, FTP, DNS, SSL/TLS, IPSec.
- Experience in performance testing of Switches.
- Experience in performing and supporting third party labs testing such as NSS labs, NSO is a plus
- Competitive product analysis testing of products such as Fortinet, SonicWALL, Palo Alto, Checkpoint, WatchGuard and the likes
- Knowledge/Experience performance testing of wireless devices.
- Perform data sheet and Real world traffic testing – IPS, AV, NGFW, Appfilter, Webfilter, EPM
- Good working knowledge of Jira for issues and project tracking, TestRail/Test Director for test case management
- Linux and open source tools experience
- Deep understanding of Quality, testing strategies, and Agile methodologies
- Knowledge of revision control systems, GitHub or Mercurial desired
- Excellent communication skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team. Advanced technical skills in troubleshooting and problem resolution – tcpdump, wireshark
- Experience in setting up the required hardware test lab/beds which involves racking, cabling and configuring networking products and equipment for performing testing and/or reproducing customer reported defects
- Must be self-directed in a fast-paced and interrupt driven work environment
- Experienced, hands-on software quality assurance professional with experience in managing, leading local & remote distributed quality engineering teams
- Strong analytical skills and experience with implementation and administration of Software Quality Assurance metrics, such as defect profiles, performance metrics and entry/exit criteria
- Excellent problem solving, interpersonal communication and project management skills a must. Strong leadership skills that inspire team confidence and respect while motivating team members in a creative and effective manner
- Should have a desire for achieving excellence in customer satisfaction, process and product quality and reliability
- Should be extremely detail-oriented with respect to documentation and communication
- Outside the box thinker. Applies knowledge and innovation to tackle complex problems