Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job Type: Full Time / Permanent
Under supervision of the Director of Network Services and Security Technologies, the Network Administrator will specialize in providing local area network support and will be responsible for working with various Information Technology teams to ensure that the infrastructure including the data center LAN and office LAN/WLAN are performing efficiently across the enterprise. The Network Administrator will assist teams in supporting existing network technologies and help provide recommendations for the enterprise when reviewing new network infrastructure components. This may occur independently or as a contribution to other groups or team projects. The candidate will be responsible for completing project tasks and preparing documentation including support processes and operating procedures. They will serve as a project participant on tasks and initiatives of varying size as assigned by the Director of Network Services and Security Technologies.
The Network Administrator will also function as an internal consultant and resource to others in the department as it relates to network infrastructures. The administrator will serve as an advisor and provide support in helping maintain the firm’s LAN/WAN networking infrastructure including routers, switches, firewalls, remote access, WAN acceleration, application load balancing and proxy technologies. This includes system administration, troubleshooting, analysis, testing, research, training, problem solving, technical support, development, and testing/deployment of new applications, hardware, and systems.
- Manages, maintains, and supports network systems and components to achieve specific objectives as directed by management or requested by users;
- Administers and ensures optimal operation of the global office LAN and WLAN infrastructure;
- Administering application load balancing, network access control and other networking optimizing technologies;
- Assists in administration of the data center LAN infrastructure including the LAN core and virtual enclosure switches;
- Assists in the administration of externally facing security hardware/equipment/tools including firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention systems, and remote access environments;
- Proactively identifies network problems and monitors performance using the firms monitor tools and system portals;
- Schedules and executes equipment repairs, preventive maintenance, and network changes with minimal end user disruption per the guidelines of the Environmental Change Control Process;
- Responsible for assisting with various network solutions including integrating new systems as well as creation of associated support processes and procedures;
- Continually evaluates network routing and systems security, identifies areas of concern and recommends security solutions as required;
- Maintains maintenance contract information for all related networking technologies and manages operational relationship with vendors;
- Investigates and resolves network problems and requests that have been escalated from other teams;
- May volunteer or be selected to serve on special committees, work groups, project teams, or escalation teams related to various firm wide technology initiatives. Initiatives may be specific one-time events (e.g., research, testing, rollouts, upgrades, installations) or ongoing activities.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent work experience.
- Experience which includes hands-on implementation and configuration of network devices such as virtual interconnects, core switches, workgroup switches, routers, firewalls, application load balancing, network optimizing and packet sniffing appliances;
- Knowledge and experience with network services such as DHCP, TCP/IP, firewall rules, TCP/UDP ports, VLAN concepts, QOS and routing technologies;
- Experience with network analyzing, monitoring, and packet capturing tools and appliances.
- Strong analytical, organizational and communication skills;
- Ability to work and interact with external resources including contractors, vendors and manufactures;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to solve complex problems with creative solutions;
- Ability to organize and resolve technical issues in a timely manner is required;
- Ability to continually work with minimal supervision;
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and decision making.