Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job Type: Full Time / Permanent
Under supervision of the Network Manager, the Network Engineer will specialize in the development of strategies as well as the selection, implementation and administration of networking technologies to support the firm’s data center infrastructure and to support the delivery of business applications across the global enterprise.
The Network Engineer will oversee and provide direct support in helping maintain the firm’s data center infrastructure including routers, switches, firewalls, remote access, acceleration, application load balancing and proxy technologies. The engineer will also assist in supporting edge office LAN/WLAN networking, authentication infrastructure, WAN communications and data center LAN platforms. This includes system selection, design, implementation, administration, troubleshooting, analysis, testing, research, training, problem solving, technical support, development, and testing/deployment of new applications, hardware, and systems.
The Network Engineer will work closely with various Information Technology teams to ensure all business networking and communication solutions systems are performing efficiently and securely across the enterprise. The engineer will assist teams in supporting existing network technologies and help provide recommendations for the enterprise when reviewing new infrastructure components. The engineer will also function as an internal consultant and support resource to others in the department as it relates to network infrastructures.
This work may occur independently or as a contribution to other groups or team projects. The candidate will be responsible for completing project tasks and preparing documentation including support processes and operating procedures. They will serve as a project participant on tasks and initiatives of varying size as assigned by the Network Manager and Director of Network Services and Security Technologies.
- Manages, maintains, and supports network systems and components to achieve specific objectives as directed by management or requested by users;
- Perform administration of the data center LAN infrastructure including the LAN core and virtual enclosure switches;
- Oversees strategy and perform the administration of data center technologies including routers, switches, acceleration, application load balancing and proxy technologies;
- Oversees strategy and ensures optimal operation of the global office WAN communications infrastructure;
- Oversees strategy for administering edge office LAN, WLAN, network access control and other networking optimizing technologies;
- Works with the various Information Technology teams to define the requirements for the networking communication strategy for the firm
- Responsible for leading network solutions, making proposals, integrating new systems/designs, as well as creation of associated support processes and procedures
- Manage multiple communication network projects concurrently, under aggressive timeframes for execution, deployed in a high availability environment
- Document design concepts that are developed including network schematics, high level implementation project plans including time lines, budgets, steps required, milestones, resources, along with equipment and software requirements.
- Project manage related assignments and tasks by establishing project plans, schedules, and act as coordination point for resources such as vendors, consultants, and team members
- Proactively identifies network problems and monitors performance using the firms monitor tools and system portals;
- Schedules and executes equipment repairs, preventive maintenance, and network changes with minimal end user disruption per the guidelines of the Environmental Change Control Process;
- Responsible for implementing various network solutions including integrating new systems as well as creation of associated support processes and procedures;
- Continually evaluates network routing and systems security, identifies areas of concern and recommends security solutions as required;
- Maintains maintenance contract information for all related networking technologies and manages operational relationship with vendors;
- Investigates and resolves network problems and requests that have been escalated from other teams;
- May volunteer or be selected to serve on special committees, work groups, project teams, or escalation teams related to various firm wide technology initiatives. Initiatives may be specific one-time events (e.g., research, testing, rollouts, upgrades, installations) or ongoing activities.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent work experience
- Qualified candidate will have 5-10 years of experience which includes hands-on implementation and configuration of network devices such as virtual interconnects, core switches, workgroup switches, routers, firewalls, application load balancing, network optimizing and packet sniffing appliances
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience with network services such as DHCP, TCP/IP, TCP/UDP, VLAN concepts, network 802.1x authentication, firewall rules, QOS and routing technologies
- Experience with network analyzing, monitoring, and packet capturing tools and appliances
- Strong analytical, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work and interact with external resources including contractors, vendors and manufactures
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to solve complex problems with creative solutions
- Ability to organize and resolve technical issues in a timely manner is required
- Ability to continually work with minimal supervision
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and decision-making