Location: Akron, OH
Job Type: Full Time / Permanent
- Create computer programming code and maintain software applications by assessing requirements, building programming specifications, writing programs, using databases, and implementing solutions as part of an overall project methodology and software development lifecycle.
- Consult with managers, supervisors, project leaders, database administrators, systems analysts, other programmers, and end-users to gather information about program intent, functions, features, data requirements, input requirements, output requirements, internal and external checks and controls, hardware and operating system environment, and interfaces with other systems.
- Design and write program specifications for enhancements based on consultations with supervisors, project leaders, analysts, other programmers, and end-users while assuming all responsibility for successful implementation.
- Answer technical and procedural questions for less experienced team members, teach improved processes, and mentor team members.
- Maintain systems and programming guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Convert designs and specifications into computer code.
- Compile code into programs and correct errors detected in the compiling process.
- Design and code layouts for on-screen user interfaces, printed outputs, and interfaces with other systems.
- Create unit test transactions and execute unit tests to find errors and confirm program meets specifications.
- Analyze code to find errors and revise programs to resolve issues and for system enhancements.
- Write and maintain documentation of computer code, programs, and specifications; review user and technical documentation written by others to confirm consistency with program operations.
- Modify and maintain software programs written by others.
- Provide technical assistance by responding to inquiries regarding errors, problems, or questions with programs; train end-users and technical support staff to use and support programs.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional associations.
- Protect operations by keeping information confidential and secure.
Education & Experience:
- Qualified candidates will possess a bachelor’s Degree, Associate’s Degree, or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related discipline.
- A minimum of 4-6 years of Information Technology experience and 3-4 years of Interactive Programming experience required.
- Recent experience with object-oriented programming and significant experience with COBOL.
- Additional experience with SQL, Oracle, Micro Focus COBOL, networking, scripting, Unix/Linux, HP-UX, and programming tools a plus.
- Must be able to read, analyze, interpret technical journals, and analyze business statistics such as production and financial report documents.
- Respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers and then present this information and possible solutions, both written and verbally, to all stakeholders and company management.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Capable of computing mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference plus the ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Proficient in PC usage, common PC tools, and PC applications.
- Must deliver solutions with both batch and interactive programming techniques.
- Understand and have worked actively with a project life cycle.