Senior Signaling Configuration Engineer
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job Type: Contract to Hire
Deliver Configuration (Data preparation, sub-system parameters) for the signaling configured sub-systems of complex & medium signaling project schemes in accordance with industry and company standards and processes. Provide expert guidance and mentoring on these subjects.
- Determine the test objectives and test strategies for the project.
- Author the Test Plan based upon the department standards and project needs.
- Plan test activities within the project schedule and estimate the hours required to conduct all Test and Quality Assurance activities.
- Identify the scope of the testing required for each release.
- Create test plans/protocols/procedures/cases for each release. Assure all test documentation is complete prior to the start of the test cycle.
- Execute tests according to defined test plans, procedures and cases.
- Identify and log defects in the defect tracking tool.
- Assist with the classification, management and resolution of all software defects.
- Monitor test progress and provide frequent progress reports to project team during test cycle.
- Participate in program, design and document reviews (including requirements reviews).
- At the end of a test cycle publish metrics of test results in a timely manner. Work with project team and Functional Management to identify areas for improvement.
- Be the voice of the customer assuring that we do what is necessary to deliver a quality product.
- Actively facilitate the coordination and completion of the scheduled tasks with team members.
- Allocate test resources based upon skills and capabilities. Identify skill gaps and provide guidance to junior resources.
- Assists the Functional Manager in the establishment/modification of department processes and follows/documents all work associated with the assigned responsibilities fully and accurately.
- Follows established Quality Assurance processes and standards for the formal delivery of work artifacts.
- Must have a desire for achieving excellence in customer satisfaction, process and product quality and reliability.
- Completes specific work as assigned with minimal assistance. Assignments are varied in nature and limited in scope/complexity.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of experience in software development or an associated discipline
- Working knowledge and understanding of Quality Assurance practices
- Fundamental knowledge of Linux or UNIX operating system
- Familiarity with basic networking concepts
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to own and lead and the testing effort for complex and medium size projects
- Microsoft Windows operating system education/experience
- Microsoft Office, EXCEL and WORD education/experience
- Knowledge and use of quality management methods and tools
- Working experience with scripting languages like Python, Perl, BASH
- Previous work experience and/or knowledge of rail related applications