Software Engineer – Expert in Search
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job Type: Full Time / Permanent
The Software Engineer Expert in Search will work as part of a team of software engineers to develop a cutting-edge clinical search engine. As an expert in information retrieval, the Software Engineer Expert in Search will analyze business requirements, research and evaluate different search solutions and be a key contributor to the chosen solution implementation. The candidate will be directly involved in the full software development lifecycle of a live, production system providing access to millions of patient medical documents, discrete data and images.
An ideal candidate will be well-informed about engineering best practices, new developments in the information retrieval field, comfortable working with search engine internals and able to clearly communicate technical findings and plans to non-experts.
- Work with product managers, partners and peers to collect and understand business needs.
- Participate as subject matter engineer within an engineering product team observing engineering/SDLC best practices and delivering quality solutions to the business.
- Work with an existing, experienced inter-disciplinary healthcare natural language processing (NLP) team to use NLP annotations to facilitate search.
- Propose information retrieval technologies to meet business requirements and break them down into detailed implementation plans.
- Implement proposed techniques at production scale and evaluate results with rollout proposals to live production systems.
- Communicate complex results and expert methodology effectively within the team and to external stakeholders.
- Promote and participate in professional self-development to stay up-to-date with new technologies and development approaches within the industry.
- Candidate must be highly motivated to follow project management, systems/software processes, measurement disciplines, and process improvement (CMMI) to improve product and services quality to achieve business objectives.
- Communicate project activities, statuses, accomplishments, and strategic direction with executive management as part of functional team both in oral and written communication.
- Interface with peers throughout company to develop a strong working relationship between all groups within the system. Seek opportunity to provide assistance and wherever possible thereby increasing overall service and reducing cost through elimination of duplicate/redundant efforts.
- Evaluate new hardware and software products and technologies and participate in project assessments as necessary.
- Typically has 10+ years of related work experience
- Experience with complex development environments, taking abstract concepts and ideas and formulating a detailed software deliverable
- Experience in developing on cross-functional systems
- Deep knowledge of developing complete systems
- Mastery of the SDLC
- Highly driven and self-motivated to exceed expectations
- Ability to work independently and demonstrated ability to lead in a team based environment
- Proficient in both oral and written communication