Systems Engineer II
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job Type: Full Time / Permanent
The IT Systems Engineer II is responsible for designing, implementing, maintaining and supporting all components of the Linux and Windows operating systems. The person in this role will serve as a subject matter expert for the operating environment and will assist in the architecture, design and implementation of infrastructure solutions and governance. The IT Systems Engineer will be part of the team responsible for supporting both on premise virtualization and cloud solutions, including containerization and automation.
- Performing the administration and configuration of server hardware (physical, virtual, cloud based) and operating infrastructure software utilizing knowledge of operating systems such as Linux, Windows, VMWare, ESXi, Oracle Virtualization and network protocols, such as TCP/IP, HTTP, HTTPS, SFTP, DNS and DHCP.
- Demonstrating solid knowledge in management and administration of applications such as Microsoft Active Directory, AWS Services, Web Services and Windows File and Print Services as well as business applications.
- Exhibiting strong server hardware knowledge and hands-on experience, especially in Cisco UCS Blades, Fabric Interconnects, EMC SAN Storage and EMC Networker backup layers.
- Maintaining VMWare, Linux and Windows Platform lifecycles, including patching, upgrades and migrations demonstrating usable PowerShell and group policy knowledge as a method of automating important repetitive tasks. Providing level three support for complex issues and providing timely corrective action.
- Monitoring and analyzing server performance; troubleshooting system problems and making recommendations related to load balancing, fault tolerance and high availability of all system components; performing server tuning/design function.
- Maintaining server operating systems, security, naming standards, database interface system and monitoring systems. Working with vendors, technical resources and users to prevent or diagnose and correct problems.
- Conducting research, evaluating, recommending, acquiring and implementing emerging server-related technologies, tools and support mechanisms.
- Providing technical analysis of vulnerabilities identified by the vulnerability management program for their impact to the bank and participating in the remediation plans for each, including both internal and external landscapes.
- Ensuring compliance with policies, procedures and regulations to ensure safe and sound business operations; developing and implementing software and configurations to apply appropriate system security mechanisms.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in information systems or equivalent work experience
- Five or more years of experience in technical infrastructure\systems support role, including three years of that experience as a primary system administrator for Windows and Unix\Linux in a virtual server environment
- Demonstrated networks, operating systems, system monitoring, security and technology infrastructure experience; specializing in one or more technical areas where a thorough and detailed understanding of the environment is required, and certification in areas of specialization is preferred
- Primary experience related to the server environment; configuration of server operating systems, systems software, application support and server security
- Experience managing infrastructure and applications in Cloud Environments (e.g., Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure)
- Experience with containerization, including Docker and/or Kubernetes, and Agile methodologies
- Experience utilizing tools such as Ansible, PowerShell, Python and Jenkins